Instagram is one of the best platforms to skyrocket your influence and become a true internet celebrity. With Instagram public figure status comes credibility and open doors.
Some people have built Instagram followings in the millions, parlayed that into endorsements, and even signed acting or recording contracts.
In this post, we’re going to go step by step through how to get Instagram to recognize you as a public figure.
Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our comparisons and recommendations. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
It’s important to note that being an Instagram public figure is different from being verified on Instagram (a little blue badge next to your name). We’ll cover that in a different post.
Instead, we’re referring to the text right below your name. It helps identify you to users on the platform.
Benefits of being Linking your Instagram Account to Facebook.
There are four major benefits you get when you link your Facebook account to Instagram.
This is the most obvious benefit. When linking your Facebook and Instagram accounts, you’re able to access analytics and see which posts are working and what’s not.
After being linked, you can see where most of your followers are from, the best times to post, and how your posts are performing.
When used properly, this can help you skyrocket your influence and reap the rewards that come with it.
We hate to say do it because everyone else is doing it. That’s never a good way to stand out from the crowd. In some cases, that statement is actually good advice.
When airbags came out, not everyone was doing it. Over time, it became necessary because people wouldn’t buy a car without them.
The major brands have linked their Facebook accounts to Instagram and people are starting to look at it as a sign of credibility.
If you’re a real business (or want to take your Instagram marketing seriously) then you’ll at least take the time to set up an Instagram business profile.
Automatic reposting to Facebook
You may be wondering why you’d like to do this. Instagram content is a bit different than Facebook. We’d argue that visual content is preferable in most cases and Instagram forces you to make it a lot of it.
In a study by BuzzSumo which analyzed 1bn posts, they found that images reposted from Instagram to Facebook got 23% more engagement.
Social Media Examiner also performed a test and found that cross-promoting from Instagram to Facebook produced higher engagement.
In the example above, #4 is the one republished from Instagram.
As an Instagram public figure, you unlock these benefits.
Ability to use Instagram advertising
Instagram advertising can be a wonderful way to increase your following and reach on Instagram. You won’t be able to do it unless you’ve already connected your Facebook page to Instagram.
Quick Detour – Instagram growth services
Instagram is getting more and more competitive. Becoming a public figure on the platform is only a small portion of the fight. To be successful, it’s important to grow your following – fast.
To do that, there are many Instagram growth services available but we strongly recommend two right now.
One of them is automation and the other is an inexpensive growth service that anyone serious about growing their account can use.
Upleap is an Instagram growth service that focuses on helping you grow your account. It states that real humans are working behind the scenes to engage with other accounts based on the criteria you set.
For example, if you’re a fashion brand, you can input the demographics of your users and from they’ll get to work. On average, you can expect to see 300% growth beyond what you’re currently doing.
Instamber is an automation tool that’s been able to adapt to the changes that Instagram is constantly rolling out. It has features such as following, liking, and commenting which will help you grow your engagement.
It’s important to use this service sparingly so your account isn’t flagged by Instagram for too much activity beyond what a human being could reasonably do. That means you shouldn’t be on the platform 24/7 following and liking accounts.
How to set up your account to be an Instagram public figure
People believe this is a difficult process. It’s not. That’s because having the public figure status on Instagram isn’t tied to how many followers you have, how long you’ve been on the platform, or what you’ve done in real life.
It’s simply a category Facebook and Instagram use to keep track of what kind of businesses are using their platform.
Here’s an example of what a category is on Instagram and where your public figure status will appear.
In the above image, the category for their Instagram account is “personal blog.” There are dozens of different categories you can choose from when you set up your page.
Obviously, you’re interested in the public figure category so let’s dive in.
The first step is to create a Facebook page if you don’t already have one. Since Instagram is a mobile-first application, we’re going to walk you through the Instagram public figure setup using the Facebook mobile app.
The same steps apply to the desktop application.
- Open your Facebook app and click on the three horizontal bars in the bottom right corner
2. Scroll down until you see the menu option labeled “pages”
3. When you click pages, a list of all your pages will appear. At the very top of the screen, you’ll see the option to create a new page.
4. You’ll be taken to another screen and prompted to name your page. Choose the same name as your brand
5. On the next page, you’ll be asked to choose a category and subcategory for your page. There are dozens of options. To get the public figure option to appear, the main category is “people” and the subcategory is “public figure.”
6. Facebook will ask you other things about your page like the website, description, etc. Fill these out to finish setting up your profile. When you’re done, open the Instagram app. Note: It’s not necessary to keep your Facebook page updated for what you want to accomplish.
Getting public figure to appear on Instagram
- Open your Instagram app and navigate to your profile page
- Click the three horizontal bars in the top right corner.
3. At the bottom of the menu that appears, you’ll see settings. Click on it.
4. Scroll down until you see the option “switch to business profile.”
5. Instagram will tell you the benefits of using the app as a business. Click continue until it’s done prompting you.
6. If you’re not already logged into Facebook, it’ll prompt you to sign into your account through Instagram. With the profile we were using for this example, we were already logged into Facebook.
7. Once you’re logged in, choose a page
8. It’ll then show you all the pages you’ve already created. Click on the page you want. If you don’t have a page already then you’ll see the option to create a page.
9. After that, It’ll ask you to confirm some of your information and you’re done.
How to Become an Instagram Public Figure without a Facebook page.
There’s a way to set up your Instagram account without connecting a Facebook page. We don’t recommend this route because you don’t get as many benefits and you’ll only save a few minutes.
If you’re not interested in the added benefits connecting through Facebook can give you then keep reading.
- Navigate back to settings and click on “switch to business account.”
2. Follow the prompts until you arrive on the page that says “choose page.” Instead of clicking that option, click the skip button at the bottom of the screen.
3. You’ll be taken to a screen that allows you to choose the categories of your Instagram page. Select “people” as the main category and “public figure” as the subcategory then continue.
4. On the next page, you’ll be prompted to check your profile information to make sure it’s accurate. That includes your email address and your phone number. Click done when everything is up to date.
That’s it, you’re all done. You’re now an Instagram public figure.
Becoming an Instagram Public figure is only a small part of what’s necessary to succeed on the platform. Be sure to check out our reviews of popular growth services so you can find the best one to accelerate your growth.